Update: As of late Friday afternoon, I-40 and I-17 have reopened. Some roads still remain closed.
PHOENIX – Interstate 40 is one of several roads closed in both directions in northern Arizona and the high country. The Arizona Department of Transportation said I-40 is closed from U.S. 93 near Kingman to Winslow.
There is no estimated time to reopen the lanes.
The following is a list of other roads closed by winter weather, as provided by ADOT:
- SR 89-A from mileposts 386-397 (just past Sedona to Flagstaff)
- I-40 from US 93 to Winslow (both directions)
- I-17 northbound at SR 179 junction (both directions)
- SR 87 NB from Payson to Winslow (both directions)
- SR 260 EB from Camp Verde to SR 87 (both directions)
Travelers are encouraged to wait out the winter storm, which is expected to arrive Thursday evening or Friday morning.
Real-time highway conditions are available on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov, by calling 511 and through ADOT’s Twitter feed, @ArizonaDOT. When a freeway closure or other major traffic event occurs, our free app available at ADOTAlerts.com will send critical information directly to app users in affected areas – where possible, in advance of alternate routes.